Saturday, May 16, 2009

Sent Home...Just Practicing

We took a trial run to St. Luke's last night. Since the baby will be here soon we had to see exactly how long it would take us to get there and what to expect, right? What better time to do this than 10:00 Friday night!

Seriously, I had my doctor appointment yesterday morning, all went well. Baby Joel is vertex, doc did a quick scan during the non stress test and I got to see (with my own eyes) that he is head down! Doc told me that I definitely would not go to my due date and that 38 weeks is our magic number, unless of course he decides to come earlier. So it looks like he will be here around June 1st (only about 2 more weeks).

I felt crappy yesterday afternoon and by 7:30 last night I was having (painful) contractions every two minutes. After about 1 1/2 hours of this I called Jamie and asked her to come over and sit with the girls. By the time she got there the contractions had eased up but we figured since she was there we might as well go and see what was going on.

Got to the hospital...NO CONTRACTIONS! Stay there for about 2 hours, hooked up to monitors, get checked (1 cm dialated) and then get sent home. As soon as we are close to home the contractions start in again...for the rest of the night. WTH? The nurses told me that since this is my third I can expect to feel much more and it will be more intense and that I absolutely did the right thing by coming in...I still feel kind of stupid but whatever. I guess everyone has to do this at least once in their lifetime, right?

This experience has inspired me to get my crap together as I realized last night how unprepared I am to go to the hospital. I never got around to making that list I talked about so I guess that's what I'll be doing this weekend.

When we were leaving the hospital last night we peeked in the nursery and saw a ton of babies. During the day you're lucky if you see one but since it was midnight they had at least 10 little fresh from heaven babies snoozing away wrapped up like little burritos. It was so sweet...plus we ran into our friends from church who had their baby yesterday (she was due on 5/24 so about 3 weeks ahead of me, I bet she's feeling good right about now)...sometimes waiting is the hardest part!

2 comments:

Constance said...

And of course, the best things are worth waiting for!
Love, Mom

jamie said...

Okay, you need to give us a lot of updates because I know that Joel is going to be your excuse for not updating!
Love You,
Jamie