Monday, May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Thoughts

First off, I hope all the Mother's had a great Mother's Day. I've been catching up on blogs this morning (been up since 4:45am) and I feel prompted to share my thoughts regarding certain holidays.

This is probably the first year that I haven't made the mistake of going into Mother's Day with "great expectations". I am not saying that my hubby isn't awesome but I am saying that my expectations have been so high in the past that I didn't truly appreciate all of the effort that my family put into the little things that made the day special.

Last year Corey and I got into an argument on Mother's Day because he didn't make me feel special all day, every second of the day. Sure he took me to Panera for breakfast, bought me "dead" flowers (not his fault, he tried), got me a card and chocolate covered strawberries, cooked dinner, cleaned up and let me relax all day. This wasn't enough for me though because I had seen the credit card statement a few days earlier and saw a charge to Tiffany's so all day I was waiting for my little blue box. By the end of the day when it didn't show up I was livid. I didn't let on that I knew about the Tiffany's gift, I just pouted, made him feel bad and told him he really should be giving me presents on Mother's Day to express his love to me for being the mother of his children. Of course, he went off and put me in my place and then I ended up feeling bad for being so ungrateful.

This year I decided to work on my grateful attitude. First off I prayed that Mother's Day would be a good day and that my expectations of the day wouldn't be "over the top" and that I would appreciate the thougthfullness that my family put into the day. So my Mother's Day started Friday with chocolate covered strawberries from The Candy Factory! My family took me to Heaven Scent donuts before church on Sunday, the girls picked out a Happy Birthday Card for me (evidently Corey tried to get them to pick out a MD card but they insisted on the card with a cute dog on the front). After church Corey grilled for the family and cleaned up afterward, I took a nap and we watched Bride Wars. I had two requests for the day, that the girls and Corey clean up and organize the playroom and that Corey hang pictures up for me for Joel and in our bedroom. I almost lost it during the playroom cleaning up but for the most part I maintained my composure and Corey promised to hang my pictures one day this week without complaining. I only played the "Mother's Day" card a couple of times with the girls when they wanted to watch Disney Channel, I made them watch Bride Wars instead.

I truly feel that Valentine's Day, Mother's Day and Father's Day are completely overrated Hallmark and jewelry store holidays. In fact the commercials and ads irritate me so much during these holidays. If the only time you can think about your parents or significant other is on these "obligatory" holidays then I feel bad for the receiver. I certainly wouldn't want a gift because someone felt obligated to give me one. Sure, we recognize and honor our parents with a small token of our appreciation for them on these days but we also honor them on the "non-obligatory" days of the year as well. I'm sure our phone calls, visits, cards, and gifts mean more to them when they are not expecting it then when we are forced by the pressure of the day to do something (let me clarify to our mom's real quick that we did put a lot of thought into your MD gifts to make them special for you and we were happy to honor all of you).

So if your Mother's Day wasn't all that you wanted it to be and more I just encourage you to be thankful for what your husband and kids do for you all the other days of the year to make you feel special. It's the little things that are done out of love for you on an ongoing basis that count.

PS - For all of those inquiring minds, I did end up getting my little blue box about 3 weeks later last year on our 10th Wedding Anniversary.

4 comments:

Chas said...

I totally agree with everything you said. I'm sure you saw my blog and how my mother's days have not always been that great. When Gavin and Riley handed me dandelions this year that were in their sweet chubby little hands, it actually almost made me tear up, because to them they were giving me something special!

Crystal Sunshine said...

Jenn, I wish we could've met as well... I felt like a stalker b/c I'd ask someone where you might be, and when I would get there, they would send me elsewhere, HA! This was after the Walk, though, and everyone was scattering... after the third failed attempt, my kids were begging to go, so I gave up :( Sorry! We definitely need to get together sometime; are you home until after the baby comes? -Crystal

Constance said...

Ahh, the constant, ongoing battle of the flesh!!! Being selfless, thinking of others and so on... sometimes, I just want to chuck all of that transforming stuff because I feel like I am not making much progress. And then...

I got a beautiful letter from dad in my Mother's day card. He talked of the legacy I am creating in the lives of my children and those that I love. He spoke of how I have grown in grace and so on and it just encouraged my heart so much!

Prior to Sunday, I told Bub that Sunday was just a day. If my children can only honor and appreciate me 1 day out of the year then I have failed as a mother!

I'm sure that when you reach the point in your life where I am now, all of my children grown, you will grow all teary-eyed at that precious birthday card from the girls!

I know these days seem long and unending but cherish them for they slip away very quickly!
Love, Mom

jamie said...

Jenn, I have always thought that I would rather have my kids everyday than just on special holidays. It has always meant a lot to me that you make it a point to see family on the special days. At one time in my life, I was made to feel guilty about not being around certain people on certain days. That time of my life is over. I enjoy myself much more just knowing that I love people and people love me. Things are just that, love is something that no one can touch or take away.
I Love You,
Jamie