Monday, December 8, 2008

Auld Lang Syne

What a busy weekend! Corey had a business dinner Friday night so the girls and I had some holiday fun and made peanut butter blossoms and Crispex Mix. We then curled up on the couch to watch Jim Carrey's version of "The Grinch" and waited for Daddy to get home. By Saturday night we discovered that Ashley is a little afraid of "The Grinch". She was making the "grinch" face. I guess this was her way of trying to show us exactly what she was afraid of. By the end of the movie Aly concluded that the grinch now had "Jesus in his heart".

Saturday morning we took the kids to "Breakfast at the Manger" at our church's central campus. The kids got to dress up and have their picture taken with Baby Jesus and some animals. Aly got to hold the baby goat and it kept "Baa-ing" at her. It was really cute. At first I thought it was a little kid making the noise at then I realized it was a "kid" just the goat kind. The kids had breakfast (I didn't get any and this pregnant momma could've used some french toast sticks and sausage too), did a craft and watched a puppet show. By the time it was over I was starving so we headed to the new and improved West County Mall for lunch (in the food court, yum) and a little X-mas shopping. Later that evening we went to a Holiday Happy Hour, for parents only, at the dance studio while the girls spent the evening with Grandma (Grandpa was camping with the boy scouts, brrr cold).

Yesterday was a busy church day with services in the morning and then our monthly Super Sunday service last night. It was holiday themed so it was really fun to sing all the X-mas songs. They'll have their X-mas production the week of X-mas so I'm really looking forward to that.

I've been typing the words X-mas all over this blog post today and it reminded me of a funny story from when I was little. My parents divorced when I was one and I had grown up hearing the word "my ex" all the time when my parents would be referring to one another. One year I was at my Dad's for X-mas and he rented a movie for me called "Snow White's Christmas". The sticker on the video read "Snow White's X-mas". So I ended up asking my Dad why Snow White divorced Christmas. Silly huh.

My BIL had a great idea for my sister that a few of the ladies in my family have decided to participate in. He suggested that my sister blog her favorite ornaments everyday from Dec. 1 to X-mas. So I'm going to steal this good idea and participate too!

My first ornament is my "It's A Wonderful Life" ornament. Hallmark put this ornament out in the 90's to commemorate some anniversary of the movie (I'm too lazy to go downstairs to look at what year). This is one of my all time favorite movies. I first saw this movie when I lived with my parents in Nebraska so I was probably about 10 or 11. I sat down and pretended to be really into the movie. The rule was if you were watching the movie you got to stay up past your bedtime. Since it is a really long movie I was all about staying up late! As I watched the movie I actually found myself really enjoying it and it has been a holiday favorite for me ever since. I enjoy collecting "It's A Wonderful Life" commemorative type stuff. On Thanksgiving I was in my parents basement "shopping" for X-mas decorations and I came across an extra "It's A Wonderful Life" snowglobe that they had gotten one year on sale after X-mas. I immediately "put my name on it" and brought it home. It's Martini's bar, it lights up and it plays "Auld Lang Syne". By the way does anyone else like that goofy version of the song by Dan Fogelberg? Here's a sample of the lyrics:

Met my old lover in the grocery store,
The snow was falling Christmas Eve.
I stole behind her in the frozen foods,
And I touched her on the sleeve.

Cheesy huh...but catchy...I love to make fun of this song but enjoy it all at the same time and I've only heard it once this X-mas season.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Great idea about the ornament-a-day blog...can I copy??

Constance said...

Breakfast at the managers... whose managers, yours or Corey's?
Tee Hee!

I like that old Dan Fogelberg song too, I haven't heard it once though all season! I will probably sit down and watch It's A Wonderful Life this week. I never knew that little story about watching the movie so you could stay up late. Remeber how we used to drive around Lincoln and look at Christmas lights?
Love, Mom