Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday's Randomness

One more day til Friday. When I worked I lived for the weekends now everything just seems to run together. The bright spot about the weekends is that we get Corey with us all weekend. It's not like we're staying up late doing anything super exciting though since I usually fall asleep on the couch by about 8pm every night. I've been so incredibly exhausted in the evenings that last night Corey jokingly said "The baby must be growing 'a pair' this week". Little did he realize that if we do have a boy cooking in here this is the week that testosterone and all of that good male stuff kicks in so maybe he's right.

My parents from Texas come in this weekend and will be here through the following weekend so we will be seeing them on and off throughout the next week. I have to work at Gymboree on Saturday evening so I am hoping Corey and the girls will get the tree out and put it up for me while I'm at work and then we can decorate it later in the week. We have some fun traditions while decorating the tree. The girls get 3 presents:

1. Christmas Jammies

2. A new ornament for the tree - my mom did this with us kids when we were living at home and then when we left the "nest" she gave us our box of ornaments for our own tree. I love this idea so I am doing it with my own kids although I think some of those ornaments will be hard to part with.

3. An advent calendar filled with chocolates to countdown the days of til Christmas.

The girls and I stopped by the mall last Friday for a few things and while we were there we saw that Santa had already arrived. We weren't dressed for pictures that day but we did stop by and say hi to Santa. Aly refused to tell him what she wanted because her reasoning was that Santa already knows what she wants. Santa gave them a coloring book and a sign for our Window that says "Santa Stop Here" with lines on the back so that they could write their Christmas wishes down. Aly thinks that if it's on the list she's getting it. Yeah, right. She has her heart set on this dog "Biscuit". It's about $150 and it barks at you, wags its tail, etc. Never mind the fact that we have two real dogs of our own. If any of you remember the big pony (Butterscotch) that was set up at Target last year in the Toy section, well , Biscuit is the same concept. They also have this huge dinosaur for $250 that Ashley thinks she's getting. Sorry but I don't have the space to waste or money to blow and things like this. If it were up to Corey the girls would be getting contributions to their 529's from us and that's it. Sometimes he forgets what it's like to be a kid...did he want a contribution to his college fund when he was 4 and 2? I doubt it.

In closing for today I want you guys to tell me about some of your Christmas traditions.

6 comments:

The Ellis Family said...

I have already had a request for that huge dinosaur from Caleb!! I said, "yeah right, pick something else." I'm so sweet! Where would it go?? In my way, that's where! My mom did the ornament thing with me to. I should be doing that!! On Christmas Eve, I always have Caleb and this year I suppose Carleigh can "help" make a Birthday cake for Jesus. After church, we eat dinner and have a birthday party for Jesus! When putting up the tree, I get out our Willow tree nativity scene and tell the kiddos the Christmas story. Caleb likes to act it out with the scene as its being told.

Jenn said...

The b-day cake is a great idea! You are cracking me up about the dinosaur being in "my way". I love it!!

Constance said...

Isn't Chelsey a hoot? She doesn't sugarcaoat it, she just tells it like it is! I saw Biscuit the other day and thought, what a cute gift (until I found out the price!) I'm sure some parents (to remain nameless) wouldn't bat an eyelash at spending that one ONE gift!

Christmas traditions...well, you kind of stole mine! Ha Ha! I guess I'll mention the all day bake-a-thon where I bake my guts out and serve all of the goodies up on trays. Then they get passed out to clients and friends. It's a lot of work but really worth it!

Love, MOm

Constance said...

One more thing... It's going to be a weird Christmas with just Bub at home. I have been collecting ornaments for dad & I knowing that the day would come when there were no more kids at home. sigh. It's going to take about 10 minutes on Christamas morning to open gifts! And that's doing the usual one at a time procedure! Even then, when he just asks for money, it goes even faster!

Anonymous said...

I love your traditions!! Some of ours..Ride around in the car eating popcorn listening to Christmas music looking at lights, going to the KC Plaza to spend the night and look at lights, Christmas jammies, new ornament each year, Christmas eve Mass...as the kids are getting older we are thinking of new ones! It's fun!

Kim

Pam Hopkins said...

Hi Jenn,
Our Christmas tradition is to go to church Christmas eve. Then we come home and have a buffet dinner: sub type sandwiches, chips and dip, shrimp cocktail, relish tray, somtimes hot stuff like: BBQ weenies, hot wings. We also have all kinds of Christmas cookies. Then we open our stockings and then the gifts. If we are with very many family members, it can take hours to open gifts because we do one at a time. This year it will take no time at all, I am sure, because it will just be the three of us. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!
Love, Aunt Pam