Monday, May 5, 2008

The Crazy Way We Met

I found this on my Mom's Blog and thought it looked like fun. My Mom particpates is some of these "blog world" things. So here are the rules:

Our topic this Monday will be, "The Crazy Way We Met." Here's your opportunity to share the dramatic (or dull) opening moments of your dating relationship. Remember, the details of your story may be ancient history to you, but to us—it's news!

Please tell your story any way you want. You could even create a photo essay, or a song or poem. The idea is to reflect on how God moved to bring the two of you together to share the greatest adventure of your lives: marriage.

Corey and I met when were were 16 years old. We met in September of 1994. My best girlfriend, Nicole, and I were going with a group of friends to tp
houses (real mature, I know) one friday night after work. I picked her up from her place of employment (Dairy Queen) after I had gotten off work (at Baskin Robbins). I was standing inside DQ waiting for Nicole and I saw this guy come out from the kitchen with a big red crate full of ice milk. I looked at Nicole and I said "he's hot, hook me up". Nicole said "Omigosh his name is Corey, give it up" (I had dated a guy named Corey all summer and we had just broken up plus during our friendship it seemed like every guy that I would be crushing on's name was Corey too).

Nicole and I went out with our friends and did our thing. Nicole and Corey worked the day shift on Saturday and then Nicole and I were going to a party on Saturday night so naturally I told her to invite him. Corey turned us down, something about being shy and just breaking it off with a girl, whatever. They worked together on Sunday so I told her to get his number for me. As she gave me his number she rolled her eyes and said "I give it a week, TOPS". Unfortunately I had committed to going on a date with another guy (went to see Forrest Gump) and the movie was so long that I didn't get home until late and it was too late to call. The guy I was on a date with kept trying to hold my hand (his class ring was so big it kept cutting into my hand) and then he tried to kiss me on my parents front porch. I extended my hand to shake his hand and said "thanks, it's been fun", I remember thinking to myself "would you get out of here so I can make this phone call to Corey".

So school the next day (Monday). I promptly called Corey after school and he was busy splitting and hauling firewood into the backyard with his dad. He said to call him later in the evening. I called while he was watching Monday Night Football and he was such a gentleman he talked to me and watched football at the same time. We talked for a while and agreed to talk again the next day. By Friday night I had a date with him to the Francis Howell Football Game (yes, I was pretty persistent in the beginning but he did ask me for the first date).

The following weekend we went Ice Skating (and he asked me to Homecoming) and then the weekend after that we went to another high school football game. When he picked me up he brought me a rose and wrote me the sweetest letter ever. Before we left for our date I put the rose and the unread letter on my nightstand. I had forgotten about the letter until after I went to bed that night and I remember turning my light back on, reading the letter (over and over) and then I totally fell in love with him. I have the letter memorized but I'll spare you all the details.

The rest of our high school years were spent with each other. We had crazy little pet names for each other and did the corniest things. By freshman year of college we were engaged and then married the summer after I finished my sophomore year of college. And as they say "the rest is history"!

God had a special plan for our lives from the beginning we just wouldn't realize how special that plan was until we moved to Columbia in August of 2000. We were both brought up in christian homes but being so young we were sidetracked with "being teenagers" and "being in love". Here are a few pictures from our early days. Enjoy!




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahh you 2 look so young and in love!! I can't wait to see pics of Aly in her costume!

Kim

Constance said...

I forget sometimes how young you two were! Can you believe that your 10th Anniversary is next month?!

This time next week, I'll be getting ready for our trip back home! I can't wait! I spoke to Gpa Jim and he is setting that Monday aside! I can't wait to see Al's ballet class on Tuesday! I am calling Omi this afternoon since it is her birthday today!

Love, Mom