Thursday, February 28, 2008

Road Trip

Yesterday the ladybugs and I got in the car and took a road trip...to St. Joe, MO. I am sure some of you are laughing hysterically already (Jess). You may be asking yourself "why on earth would they choose to road trip to St. Joe when Kansas City is before St. Joe and they could have went shopping at the Plaza"? Why? Beef...it's what's for dinner.

Seriously, I had to go pick up our 1/2 cow that we share with another family. Yes, this "city girl" actually went to the butcher and picked up 440 pounds of beef. I called my sister Jess when I hit the road and left her a message that went something like this "Hey Jess, it's Jenn. I am on my way to St. Joe to pick up our beef so I have some windshield time (about 6 hours). Give me a call back when you get a chance".

As I am coming up I-29 I realize I am going to need gas. I am watching the exit signs and do not see any signs of gas stations. Finally I see a sign for gas. I take the exit and as I am exiting there is a sign for the gas with an arrow pointing in the direction of the gas station and it says "4 miles". What the heck?? I have to drive 4 miles just to get gas from a little town called Smithville. I guess Smithville only has one gas station, I'm surprised it wasn't a Casey's.

Finally we got to St. Joe and as I am exiting I-29 (getting ready to go on all of the dirt roads) and my sister calls me back...laughing hysterically and singing the Beverly Hillbillies theme song to me. She said she was in the middle of class when she got my message and she couldn't stop laughing. She said it sounded so funny that I was going to get our beef. She's like "I can just see you in your Ugg boots and Tiffany's jewelry going to the butcher". We laughed for a few more minutes ( I have to admit I was really surprised I had cell service on all of these dirt roads) about what I would happen once I actually got there. We were hoping that the girls wouldn't be traumatized with cow's hanging from the ceiling with their insides coming out and cow heads all over the place. Thankfully we didn't see anything like that, Aly's only comment was "Mommy, it really stinks in here".

Once the beef was loaded we hoped in the car, stopped at Mickey D's in Platte County for a little lunch and then headed home. How did we occupy ourselves on the way home? Hannah Montana of course! Aly got a new Hannah Montana DVD for her birthday so we watched the entire DVD 3 times. By the third time I had had enough of the "Best of Both Worlds" so I introduced the girls to Def Leppards's "The Vault - Greatest Hits". We, no sorry, I rocked out to Pour Some Sugar On Me, Photograph, etc. I also found out that Def Leppard is great if you don't want to hear your kids crying, this cd will be a staple in my car from now on!

I told my sister that once you get this beef you will never go back to the yucky stuff you buy at the grocery store. So, here's to you Grant and Laura, thanks for putting a little bit of country into this city girl (and I actually like it).

The last thing I want to know is what is your favorite Def Leppard song?

5 comments:

Jessica Leija said...

I sure did have a good laugh with you yesterday! But, I will admit that when I hung up it made me sad...I miss my best friend! Only a few more weeks!!! I cant wait!

Wow that's a toughy! I LOVE Def Leppard!

My all time favorite song by them is 'Pour Some Sugar on Me' (step inside, walk this way, you and me babe, hey hey!)

But after that it is a toss up between Photograph, Animal and F-F-F-Foolin'!

Constance said...

ROCK OF AGES!!!

Gunter glieben glauchen globen!
Whatever that's supposed to mean!

That is some good beef!
Is a little piggy next?
Love, Mom

Jenn said...

I miss you too Jess! I can't wait to come see you all. It's less than 3 weeks before the girls and I will be making our "Plane Trip"!

The Les N Lou Blog said...

I can't wait to see you guys. Better yet you four should just MOVE here. I've only been saying it ah only for forever. and as for Def Leppard is gotta be 'Pour Some Sugar on Me'

Anonymous said...

Ahhh St. Joe, MO my home town!! What a boring drive..so sorry for you! But rockin' out to Def Leppard sure does help!!! I would vote for Pour Some Sugar on Me too...but I love them all...big hair 80's rock, gotta love it!

Kim :)