Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Close Encounters...

Yesterday while I was mowing the grass I got a BIG surprise. I was mowing along, minding my own business, enjoying flashback 80's on my IPOD (think Survivor's Eye of the Tiger, I wish I would've had a Tiger at the moment I saw the BIG surprise) when I saw movement in front of me. I saw something huge and black and then something a bit smaller and kind of brown. You guessed it...snakes!! I completely freaked out. I didn't get close enough to see how many there were, I just took off running for the house.

Luckily Monday is one of Corey's telecommute days so I ran to our bedroom window and started banging on it. He opened the blinds and I was said "get out here now, there is a huge snake in the back". Corey came out (without a shovel - the shovels are for chopping their heads off) to survey the situation. We didn't initially see the snake so he ran back to the garage for some weapons. I'll spare you the details of the "murder" but the smaller snake got away, it slithered further into our backyard (our yard is partially fenced and beyond the fence we have a tree line and kind of a creek area). This is the third snake encounter I've had this mowing season. The first time I encountered a snake I actually ran over it (on accident but thank God). That snake was not deep in our backyard but on the strip of grass next to the sidewalk (we have a very large corner lot - it takes about 2 1/2 to 3 hours to mow the entire yard). The next time I mowed I saw a dead baby snake on the street next to the the strip of grass where I ran over the first snake.

Fortunately we will only have to mow one more time before we move...there's a reason this city girl doesn't live in the country...our subdivision is far from the country, Mickey D's and Taco Bell are not even a mile down the street.

One question, for my sister Jess, what is it with us and these crazy mowing stories? I think I would have rather encountered what you encountered the last time you mowed? You can check out "Lawnmower Jam" on my sisters' site.

The big snake was at least 2 feet and the baby was about one foot. Enjoy the pics!



2 comments:

Constance said...

SNAKE KILLERS! Wow, is this what Dad and I have to look forward to when we retire? Probably bears and bobcats is more like it! My friend Julie that I clean for, her dog Quincy got bit by a snake in their back yard and Karina had a HUGE snake in hers! Tis the season for snakes I guess!

Canada countdown in process...I will touch bases with Aunt Brenda about meals hopefully before Dad and I go to Niagra falls on Monday!

Love you,
MUAH,
Mom

Granto said...

(Read the following in Crocodile Hunter accent) Eye..Crikey!!!Watch closely as the caucasian snake hunter cautiously sneeks up on the monster reptile....ALAS! He has striked the slithery creature with a deadly blow! Boy, that was a close one!