Saturday, June 28, 2008

Don't you just love...

1. The 4th of July?? 4th of July is a great, fun time of the year except when your neighbors shoot fireworks off at 8am and freak your dogs out. Did I mention that it is illegal to shoot fireworks off in our subdivision since we are in city limits but you can go across Smiley Lane and shoot them off in the field til your hearts content. So...why shoot them off in your backyard? 4th of July is Abby's most favorite time of the year and I have scratches all over my sliding glass door that prove her love.

2. A letter from the IRS stating that you have a $668 tax bill from the 2006 tax year? Apparently when I was on short term disability when Ashley was born the STD company did not withhold federal or state taxes. I pulled our taxes and found two pay stubs from the STD company sitting right on top which confirmed they did not withhold the taxes. They also didn't bother to send us a W-2 either. We must have not known what to do with it since we didn't receive a W-2 so I guess we just filed it. Lesson learned...the IRS will find you, to pay taxes on a measly $4,000 even if it is 2 years later. I can think of a lot of other things that I would like to spend this money on, perhaps a new chandelier for the new house...Que Serra Serra, at least we have the money to pay it.

3. Smart *$! remarks from people at Wal-Mart? Okay, so I was grocery shopping with the girls last Friday and Ashley was having a huge fit. I put her in the car as she is screaming at the top of her lungs and these two older men walk by and say "Sounds like somebody's not happy" to which I replied "Yeah, it's me". Duh...do you really think she'd be screaming if she was happy?

Here's wishing you a happy start to your weekend with no fireworks, back tax bills or Smart *$! remarks.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's one for you..the worker at Wal-mart recently told me, when I was going into the bathroom with al 3 kids, that the Family bathrooms were located in the back, as she was looking at Jackson...guess she thought that Jackson looked too old to be going in the women's restroom with us...I think he looks too young to be standing outside waiting for us with any kinda weirdos lurking! Oh well! :)

Have a good weekend!

Kim

Jenn said...

No doubt Kim, but you know how some people let their kids run all over Wal-Mart like it's a babysitter. When I moved to Columbia I swore I'd never shop at Wal-Mart, I do, but it doesn't mean I have to be as redneck as everyone else! Plus we shop at the ghetto Wal-Mart because everything is in a different place at the two new supercenters and I don't have time or patience to learn where everything is while shopping with two kids in tow. The key to Wal-Mart is Get in and Get out (as fast as you possibly can).

Constance said...

i HAVE TO ADMIT,NOW THAT I'M NO LONGER A MOM WITH SMALL KIDS, I TEND TO BE DISDAINFUL OF PARENTS OF SCREAMING KIDS. wHY IS THIS ALL CAPS?

I think it's b/c MOST of them are not willing to discipline their kids and so those tend to be the issues other than being in need of a nap or not feeling well. I guess I'm "profiling".

The other day, I was shopping at Ross and there was this kid who was screaming like you wouldn't believe. the mom was just ignoring him. The rest of us didn't have that luxury! The lady in the shoe aisle across from me said,
"Take that kid home!"
To which I replied,
"Amen!".

The kid could've been in desparate need of a nap for all we knew. I have learned to NOT shop between 1-3PM b/c there are too many kids out there that should be down for naps but aren't. I remember that it was hard having little kids but I guess as I've gotten older, there is less and less than I can tolerate. Now, MY Grandbabies are a total exception to that rule!

Love, Mom/GIGI

jamie said...

Lighten up, Madison Avenue!!

You know as well as I do that EVERYTHING happens for a reason! Maybe the chandelier is not the right one for the new house and the right one doesn't come out until week after next!

Fireworks suck...no two ways about it. The only thing that they are good for is on the fourth of July, laying on a blanket, looking up in the sky. You're lucky the girls don't get upset about them.

Now, about crying kids in stores. One time Matt was throwing a fit in Dierbergs and I was ignoring him. I paid for my groceries, grabbed his arm, walked out to the car, belted him in and then put Lisa and the groceries in. This woman came up to me and said "Honey, we've all been in this situation. I always found that it helped if you tied them in a chair." I couldn't believe it! Here, I thought she was going to be nice and she was a lunatic.

Love You and kiss the family for me, all of the family!
Jamie

Jenn said...

I forgot to mention that Ashley was screaming as we were leaving the store because I wouldn't give her another piece of gum (she swallowed the first). I do ignore my kids when they're screaming in a store, they usually get over it within a matter of a few minutes and I'm not going to let a child determine whether or not I go home. Hmmm, sounds like something Mom & Dad would have said during their child rearing years...

Ash was screaming in the back of the Hobby Lobby store last week (she's screamed alot last week, not sure why) and I did sit her down in a corner until she "got over it" otherwise a trip to the bathroom would've been in order. Sometimes they way she screams when you just scold her would make you think that we are beating her with a rubber hose! You can hardly swat your kids in public without some crazy person with a cell phone in hand ready to call DFS on you.

I don't know where this comment is going I guess I just needed to get some things off my chest!