Sunday, March 11, 2012

Atrophy

The day after surgery my doc comes in and I said "so, you had to take both ovaries huh, what about my hormones"? Doc says, "You had endometriosis all over your ovaries, didn't they put a patch on you yesterday?". "Nope, don't think so". "Okay, I'll bring some back over from the office shortly".

Fast forward an hour to 4 boxes and a brochure sitting on the medical cart. Corey picks up the brochure and reads it, nurse comes in, applies a lovely clear patch to my abdomen and that's that.

I hobble out of bed to the bathroom and as I pass "the cart" I glanced at the brochure, it's titled "Your Menopause Journey". Um okay...just BREATHE! For crying out loud I just turned 34 last month!

I make it back to the oh so comfy hospital bed in my oh so sexy hospital gown and ask Corey to hand me "the brochure".

I'm flipping past all the CRAP about menopause, symptoms of menopause, blah, blah, blah...Surgical Menopause, okay finally something I can relate to:

"Estrogen therapy is an effective treatment for helping to control severe hot flashes, night sweats, vaginal dryness and atrophy".

"Corey, what's atrophy?" "I don't know I was wondering the same thing." "Okay well can you google it for me on your phone and read me the definition?".

According to Wikipedia:
"Atrophy is the partial or complete wasting away of a part of the body."

AWESOME, so your telling me that my "lady part" is going to waste away? Well this is just GREAT!

My encouragement in that moment came from Jeremiah 30:17:
"But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds,' declares the LORD".

2 comments:

Constance said...

God's word is SUCH a healing balm! At just the right moment in our lives, God's inspired word written over 2000 years ago, directly and effectively pierces right through our circumstances and speaks comfort to us! Do you know how proud I am of you? I love you not "just" because you're my daughter but you are a beautiful, Godly woman! I love how you shine!
Mom

Jenn said...

Aww, thanks Mom! I've had to on purpose make the decision to "shine" during this process but I feel rewarded and blessed with a supernatural recovery. God is good! Love you!